Object of The Study – Impact of MGNREG & NREGs Among Paniya Tribe

Objectives of the study

The following are the important objectives of the present study

  • To find out the impact of MGNREG programme on the economic life  of  the Paniya community
  • To analyse the socio-economic status of the Paniya community after the implementation of the NREGs.

 Methodology of the study

  1. Locale of the study

For the present study the investigator has taken the Vythiri panchayath of the Wayanad district of Kerala state. This panchayath has larger share of paniya tribe and their habitat is mainly concentrated in the Sugandhagiri and Chundel of the panchayath.

  1. Sample of the study

The investigator has taken 30 Paniya household of the Vythiri panchayath for collecting the sample. The samples are collected from the 4 and 9 wards of the panchayath.

  1. Collection of data

For the present study the investigator used mainly primary data which is collected by using a questionnaire. The questionnaire is prepared by the investigator with the help of experts in the field. The questions consist of different questions related to the areas of economic life and working habits of the employees engaged in the programme . The investigator has also used the secondary data from various organizations for making the study more effective.

Analysis of the impact of NREGP on the economic life of Paniyas

The major objective of the study is to assess the impact of NREGs on the socio- economic life of Paniya community. The investigator has made assessment on the basis of responses received from the respondents during the survey. There were several questions in connection with the socio-economic status of tribals for assessing the impact of NREGs after its implementation. The investigator assessed certain areas such as the change in income, change in asset, etc of the family members for analyzing the effects of NREGs. The important findings and assessment are given in the following table.

 

 

Table 1, Assessment of NREGP impact with reference to different factors

  Assessment area Favourable Responses Percentage Unfavourable Responses Percentage
 

 

1

Change in income after engaging in NREGP  

 

20

 

 

66.66%

 

 

10

 

 

33.33%

 

 

2

Whether previous debts were redeemed after engaging in NREGs  

 

3

 

 

10%

 

 

27

 

 

90%

 

3

Whether asset increased  

4

 

13.33%

 

26

 

86.66%

 

4

Whether consumption increased  

17

 

56.66%

 

13

 

43.33%

 

5

Whether new bank account is started  

30

100 —-
 

6

Whether joined in any chitty or saving scheme  

20

 

66.66%

 

10

 

33.33%

 

The investigator has attempted to analyze the changes in the economic status of the tribal people after the implementation of NREGA. The investigator conducted a survey to find out the impact of NREGs on tribals. The survey had various questions to assess the impact. In the survey 66.66% percentage of people opined that NREGP made positive effect on their economic life by improving their income and the remaining 33.33% percentage of the family opined that the NREGP did not change their family income.

 

From the survey 90% of the people replied that NREGP was not sufficient to redeem their debt and the remaining 10% of the people replied that NREGP job helped them to redeem their debt.

The investigator also analysed whether the assets of the people increased or not after the implementation of NREGP job. From the survey 86.66% of the people replied that the NREGP did not increase their asset and only 13.33% of the people replied positive.

From the survey it is observed that out of the 30 families, 56.66% families have increased their consumption and 43.33% families did not show any change in their consumption.

The investigator also noted that the families opened their bank account on behalf of accepting their remuneration for NREGP job. Bank account is necessary for NREGP job.

Out of 30 families 66.66% have joined in new chities after implementation of NREGP job and remaining 13.335 have no chities and other saving schemes.

You May Also Like

About the Author: abbas

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *